Pineapple upside down cake. The cake was a modern marvel because it relied on the recently introduced innovation of canned pineapple rings and preserved maraschino cherries. This is a hybrid pineapple upside-down cake which I've developed over the years. Instead of pineapple rings, I use crushed pineapple, coconut, and honey.
My mother has an easier version where you don't need to beat the egg whites separately. Whisk together whole eggs and sugar until the liquid becomes light yellow and foamy. This means the chemical reaction is almost equivalent to beating the egg whites in the end batter. You can have Pineapple upside down cake using 6 ingredients and 6 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Pineapple upside down cake
- You need 1 box of yellow cake mix.
- You need 1 1/2 cup of Brown Sugar.
- Prepare 1 stick of Butter.
- You need 1 can of Pineapple rings.
- It's 10 of marachino cherries.
- It's 1 tbsp of rum or rum extract.
Cut the maraschino cherries in half, and place one half, cut-side up, in the center of each pineapple ring. Make topping: Mix butter with brown sugar and add to prepared cake pan. To make the topping: Melt the butter, and mix with the brown sugar, cinnamon, and ginger. Spoon the mixture into the prepared pan.
Pineapple upside down cake step by step
- Prepare cake as directed on box.
- Melt butter and brown sugar together.
- Spread butter and brown sugar mixture into the bottom of a 9 inch cake pan.
- Layer with pineapple rings and maraschino cherries.
- Pour cake batter over the pineapple.
- Bake as directed on the back of the cake box.
Space the pineapple rings atop the brown sugar mixture. Peach Upside-Down Cake: Omit the pineapple, pecans and cherries. Substitute reserved peach juice for the pineapple juice. Pineapple Upside Down Cake from Scratch. This pineapple upside down cake is dense, like a sour cream pound cake, with ground almonds in the flour to give it even more substance and a slight almond flavor.