Pineapple Upside Down Cake. The cake was a modern marvel because it relied on the recently introduced innovation of canned pineapple rings and preserved maraschino cherries. This is a hybrid pineapple upside-down cake which I've developed over the years. Instead of pineapple rings, I use crushed pineapple, coconut, and honey.
My mother has an easier version where you don't need to beat the egg whites separately. Whisk together whole eggs and sugar until the liquid becomes light yellow and foamy. This means the chemical reaction is almost equivalent to beating the egg whites in the end batter. You can have Pineapple Upside Down Cake using 5 ingredients and 3 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Pineapple Upside Down Cake
- It's 1 (20 oz) of can pineapple rings.
- It's 1 (6 oz) of jar cherries.
- It's 4 tablespoons of butter.
- Prepare 1/2 cup of brown sugar.
- Prepare 1 of cake mix.
Cut the maraschino cherries in half, and place one half, cut-side up, in the center of each pineapple ring. Sp oon the batter over the pineapple, gently spreading out in an even layer. To make the topping: Melt the butter, and mix with the brown sugar, cinnamon, and ginger. Spoon the mixture into the prepared pan.
Pineapple Upside Down Cake step by step
- Using 9" round cake pans melt 2 tablespoons butter in 325 oven. Add 1/4 cup brown sugar to each cake pan spread evenly. Add pineapples and cherries..
- Mix cake mix according to directions except use pineapple juice in place of water to equal one cup. Pour evenly into each pan bake 40 to 45 minutes. Test with tooth pick..
- When done invert on plate and leave for 5 minutes then remove serve warm or cold..
Space the pineapple rings atop the brown sugar mixture. Peach Upside-Down Cake: Omit the pineapple, pecans and cherries. Substitute reserved peach juice for the pineapple juice. Cranberry Orange Upside-Down Cake: Omit the pineapple, pecans and cherries. Pineapple Upside Down Cake from Scratch.